Bulk cancellations to occur for inactive ABNs
Over the coming months, the ATO will be increasing our focus on the bulk Australian business number (ABN) cancellation program. This helps to ensure the integrity of information on the Australian Business Register (ABR) is accurate.
Your ABN may be cancelled if:
- the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) advise your company has been deregistered
- in your latest income tax return you advised your business has ceased
- you have stopped reporting business income or expenses
- you provide us with no other indications you may be in business
- you lodge a final tax return.
If your ABN is cancelled and you need it later, you can reapply for the same ABN if your business structure remains the same. If the business structure is different, for example you were a sole trader but your new business is a company, you will get a different ABN.
If we cancel your ABN and you are not happy with our decision, contact us and we will try to resolve the issue.
Find out about: