Your AUSkey replacement

The way you access government online services is changing. After 27 March 2020, AUSkey and Manage ABN connections will be replaced with:

  • myGovID – an authentication service that allows you to prove who you are online. It is different to your myGov account.
  • Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM) – an authorisation service that allows you to act on behalf of a business online when linked with your myGovID. You'll use your myGovID to log in to RAM.

Accessing our online services

You can start using your myGovID to log into our online services once you’ve linked it to your ABN in RAM. This new way of logging in with myGovID will replace using AUSkey or Manage ABN Connections.

Other government online services

You can already use myGovID and RAM with some participating government online services. This will extend to more government online services that use AUSkey or Manage ABN Connections.

The option to log in using AUSkey and Manage ABN Connections may continue to be available for some government online services until these services retire at the end of March 2020.

For some services, you will only be able to log in with myGovID and RAM. These include:

  • Online services for Digital Service Providers – Australian Taxation Office
  • Business Registration Service – Department of Industry
  • WGEA portal – Workplace Gender Equality Agency
  • Authorised Inspectors Online – Northern Territory Motor Vehicle Registry
  • Vocational Training – Northern Territory Department of Trade, Business and Innovation (DTBI)
  • ACMA lodgment facility – Australian Communications and Media Authority
  • SRO Victoria payroll tax – Victoria State Revenue Office
  • Revenue Online – Western Australia State Revenue Office.

Check with the relevant government agency for more information.

Getting started

Watch: How to get started with myGovID and RAM.

Set up your myGovID

Download the free myGovID app from the official app stores listed below.

Apple app store logo

Download from the App store

Google play store logo

Download from Google Play

The myGovID app is compatible with most smart devices using:

  • iOS 10 or later on Apple devices
  • Android 7.0 (Nougat) or later - this excludes devices that use Android Go operating system, such as Android One.

In line with modern security standards, desktop and browser-based versions of myGovID will not be supported, as access could be granted to anyone using the device. You cannot share your myGovID as it is unique to you, ensuring the security of your data.

You'll need two of the following Australian identity documents to achieve a Standard identity strength (your name must match in all):

  • passport (not more than three years expired)
  • driver’s licence (including learner permit)
  • birth certificate
  • Medicare card.

You may not be able to achieve a Standard identity strength if you’re:

  • an offshore employee
  • a non-resident working in Australia
  • an Australian without the right documentation.

Some government online services will accept a Basic identity strength using one or no Australian identity documents. To log in to a service that accepts a Basic identity strength you must be authorised by a principal authority or authorisation administrator in RAM.

In future, you will be able to use other types of identity documents.

Link your ABN to your myGovID in RAM – principal authorities (including primary person)

Before you start, check your ABN details are up to date in the Australian Business Register (ABR) to ensure RAM uses the correct information.

To link your ABN to your myGovID in RAM, you'll need to be the principal authority – that is, either:

  • a sole trader
  • an eligible individual associate listed on an ABN in the ABR, such as a trustee, director or partner
  • a primary person (no individual associates listed in the ABR) such as a corporate trustee, authorised contact for a government agency or responsible person for an Australian charity.

See principal authority on the RAM website to find out the steps you need to complete to link your myGovID to your ABN in RAM.

Authorise employees and others to work online on behalf of your business in RAM

If you have employees or other individuals that access online services on behalf of your business, you will need to authorise them in RAM.

See Set up authorisations on the RAM website for more information about adding new authorisations and importing AUSkey users.

Accept an authorisation in RAM - employees and individuals working on behalf of a business

You'll need a myGovID to log in to RAM and accept an authorisation to act on behalf of a business online. See Authorised users and administrators on the RAM website for more information about accepting an authorisation request.

Using business software

If you use Standard Business Reporting (SBR)-enabled software to interact with our online services, you'll need a machine credential (which replaces any AUSkey used in software).  

You'll only need to create a machine credential if you use desktop or locally hosted software. Your digital service provider will let you know when your software has been updated.

If you use cloud-based SBR-enabled software, your digital service provider will build the credential into your software.

See Machine credentials on the RAM website to find out how to create a machine credential.

Need help

Visit the myGovID and RAM websites for help and support.

Trademarks and attributions

Android, Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC. Apple and the Apple logo are trademarks of Apple Inc. registered in the US and other countries and regions. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.

Last modified
18 Feb 2020