Who we are
The Registrar of the Australian Business Register (ABR) is also the Registrar of the Australian Business Registry Services and the Commissioner of Taxation, Chris Jordan AO.
The ABR program improves the wellbeing of all Australians through enhancing business productivity by:
- reducing the administrative cost to business in their dealings with other businesses and in complying with government regulation
- influencing government policy development and implementation by advocating the use of whole-of-government services, technologies and processes to minimise the administrative impact on business
- encouraging the broader use of the national business register information, and the ABN as the key identifier for business.
The ABR program includes:
- the Australian Business Register – a comprehensive national business dataset
- Standard Business Reporting (SBR) which defines a common language for business information and standards for electronic sharing. SBR is used in business record-keeping software to support business and reduce the burden of reporting to government
- a secure authentication option giving business easy-to-use access to online services.
Registrar’s 2024 Vision
Our vision is to be:
- be the custodian of trusted business information
- be a world-class provider of associated services used by business, government and the community to unlock economic and social value for Australia
- we are trusted as we proactively assure the quality, accuracy and currency of the information we hold to ensure integrity
- protect the privacy of business
- be transparent in how we collect, hold and use their information
- as custodian, we hold and make information available on behalf of businesses to enable informed decision making by government, business and the community
- hold business information which allows regulators and other authorised consumers to access information to help build a whole of client view and provide other users the information they need to make informed decisions
- a world-class service provider. We integrate with natural systems in the collection and provision of information and seek ongoing opportunities to continually improve business information services
- provide and or enable associated services which facilitate registration and compliance, reduce administrative burden and enable meaningful access to and translation of the information held
- understand the needs of our business, government and community users and how the associated services and information we hold are used
- help unlock the potential social and economic value of the information held by providing access and by linking relevant data sets and enabling others to add value.