Business Registry Strategic Advisory Council
The purpose of the Business Registry Strategic Advisory Council is to:
- play a key role in influencing the strategic direction and priorities, and identifying risks in the delivery of the Registrar’s 2024 vision
- advocate and support the Registrar’s role in unlocking the register's economic and social value for the Australian community
- support a fairer business environment for the community, businesses and government through registry services, provision of business information and administration of director identification numbers.
The Council makes a difference through its collaborative nature and by operating in a trusting, empowering and innovative environment.
The Council supports the Registrar as the custodian of a valuable national dataset of business information to:
- build confidence in the community and assure the integrity of registry information
- improve the client experience through creating a fairer system – making it easier for the right clients to interact with government and manage their registry obligations
- provide access to business information
- advocate on behalf of the Registrar to build trust in the community and maintain confidence in the Australian Business Registry Services (ABRS).
The Council will meet 3 times in 2023. No sitting fees or related payments will be made to members of the Council.
Roles and responsibilities
The Registrar of ABRS is the Chair of the Business Registry Strategic Advisory Council and is supported by the Deputy Registrar of ABRS.
The Chair’s role is to ensure the Business Registry Strategic Advisory Council operates effectively and meets its purpose by:
- drawing on the expertise of members and seeking feedback from stakeholders
- raising risks and potential issues
- providing guidance to ensure the registry is a trusted and a relevant data provider.
Members are expected to:
- give advice and feedback to the Registrar about their views and experiences
- provide input and engage on ways to deliver the Registrar’s 2024 Vision
- advocate on behalf of the Registrar and support the Registrar's role
- support and drive the outcomes from the Business Registry Strategic Advisory Council’s deliberations and activities
- advise the secretariat if they can’t attend a meeting and who will be attending instead.
Responsibilities of the secretariat are to:
- ensure the Council’s operations are effectively managed
- support effective participation from the Chair and members
- manage administration matters relating to the Council, including arranging meetings and distributing agendas, taking and circulating key messages, and recording action items.
Membership reflects the broader community and includes representatives from business, professional associations and all levels of government.
- is at the discretion of the Chair
- will be influenced by the experience of members to deliver on the Registrar’s 2024 Vision
- will be reviewed after 2 years, and members may be reappointed.
|Australian Taxation Office||Chris Jordan (Chair), Registrar of Australian Business Registry Services|
|Australian Taxation Office||Karen Foat, A/g Deputy Registrar of Australian Business Registry Services|
|Australian Taxation Office||Melinda Smith, Chief Service Delivery Officer, Service Delivery|
|Australian Taxation Office||Will Day, Deputy Commissioner, Small Business|
|Australian Bureau of Statistics||Marcel van Kints, General Manager, Data Strategy, Integration & Services Division|
|Australian Chamber - Tourism||John Hart, Executive Chair|
|Australian Institute of Company Directors||Christian Gergis, Head of Policy|
|Australian Local Government Association||
|Australian Security and Investment Commission||Warren Day, Chief Operating Officer and Regional Commissioner VIC|
|Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman||Bruce Billson, Ombudsman|
|Council Of Small Business Organisations Australia||Alexi Boyd, Chief Executive Officer|
|Department of Finance||Nathan Williamson, Deputy Secretary|
|Department of Industry, Science and Resources||Duncan McIntyre, Deputy Secretary, Science and Technology Group|
|Digital Service Providers Australia New Zealand||Simon Foster, President and Chair|
|Digital Transformation Agency||Lucy Poole, General Manager, Digital Strategy, Standards and Policy|
|Institute of Certified Bookkeepers||Matthew Addison, Executive Director|
|NSW Small Business Commissioner||Chris Lamont, Commissioner|
|QLD Small Business Commissioner||Dominique Lamb, Commissioner|
|Small Business Victoria||Ylva Carosone, Executive Director|
|Treasury||Kate O'Rourke, First Assistant Secretary, Consumer Data Right Division|
During 2023, the Business Registry Strategic Advisory Council will meet on:
- Monday 22 May
- Monday 14 August
- Monday 27 November.
- Terms of reference
- The terms of reference outlines how the Business Registry Strategic Advisory Council will play a role in achieving the delivery of the Registrar’s 2024 Vision.
- News from the Council
- Key highlights from recent meetings of the Business Registry Strategic Advisory Council.