Do you need a director ID?
Existing directors need to apply for a director identification number (director ID) by 30 November 2022. It’s free, you only need to apply once, and you’ll keep your director ID forever.
You need to apply for a director ID if you're a director of a company, including:
- corporate trustee, for example, of a self-managed super fund
- charity or not-for-profit (NFP) organisation that is a company
- registered Australian body
- foreign company registered with Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC) and carrying on business in Australia, regardless of where you live
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation – directors of CATSI Act Corporations have until 30 November 2023 to apply.
For more information, see Who needs to apply and when.
Check if you need a director ID:
- Search ABN Lookup using your business, charity or not-for-profit ABN or business name. If ASIC Registration - ACN or ARBN or ARSN or ARFN is showing against the record, and you’re a director, you need to apply for a Director ID.
- For NFP’s that are not registered with ACNC, check the ASIC companies register for director details.
- Charities that are registered with the ACNC will need to search for a charity on the ACNC website. After selecting your charity, navigate to the People tab. If you’re listed as a director, you need to apply for a director ID.
If you’re running your business as a sole trader or partnership, you don’t need a director ID.
The fastest way to apply for a director ID is by using the myGovID app to log in to ABRS online. You’ll need a myGovID with at least a Standard identity strength.
For more information, see Apply for your director ID.