Applying for an ABN
As a tax professional, you can apply online for an Australian business number (ABN) for your client using Tax Professional’s services with myGovID.
On this page
Before you apply
Before you apply for an ABN for your client, make sure:
How to apply using myGovID
To apply for your client's ABN, log in to Tax Professional's services using myGovID.
Complete the declaration at the end of the online application, stating that you:
- are authorised to act on their behalf
- have a written declaration that confirms the information they've provided to you is true and correct.
Information about the Australian Business Register (ABR) availability can be found on the ABR Dashboard.
Processing your application
Your client’s application will be processed faster if we can identify them with a tax file number.
If you include your registered agent number when you apply for your client’s ABN, it will be recorded against their ABN.
A successful application
If your application is successful:
- you'll receive your client's 11-digit ABN immediately
- you should print or save the confirmation of your client's ABN and their ABN details
- you can immediately apply for other business registrations, such as GST
- your client's ABN details will be added to the ABR. It's then their responsibility to update their ABN details.
If you receive a reference number, it means we’re checking details in your application or we need more information. We aim to review your application within 20 business days of receiving it and will contact you if further information is needed.
If your application is successful, we’ll mail your client's ABN and ABN details within 14 days.
An unsuccessful application
Not everyone is entitled to an ABN. If your application is unsuccessful, you'll receive a refusal number and a letter within 14 days confirming the:
- application has been refused
- reasons for the refusal
- options available to you, including your client's review rights.