Update your client’s ABN details
It's your client’s responsibility to maintain their Australian business number (ABN) details.
Details must be updated with the Australian Business Register (ABR) within 28 days of becoming aware of changes.
Updating your client’s ABN details will ensure:
- the right people have the right permissions to act on behalf of a business
- government agencies have current information – for example, if emergency services need to contact businesses during natural disasters
- businesses are ready for new government services when they become available.
How to update ABN details
The fastest way to update your client's details is online through the ABR's Tax professional's services using myGovID. You must have already linked to your client through ATO Online services for agents.
All changes made to your client's ABN will take effect immediately if done through the Tax professionals services.
Note: The ABR Dashboard contains current information about ABR availability.
What can't be updated
You can’t update:
- business names
- legal names for individuals and sole traders who need to contact the ATO directly
- legal names for companies registered with Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC).
Name changes made by the ATO and ASIC will update the ABR.