Cancel your client’s ABN
The fastest way to cancel your client's Australian business number (ABN) is online using an AUSkey. You must be recorded against their ABN, which can be done via the tax agent portal.
All changes made to the ABN online will take effect immediately.
Note: The ABR Dashboard provides current information about ABR availability.
You should request the cancellation of your client's ABN if their business:
- has been sold
- has closed down
- no longer operates in Australia or makes supplies connected with Australia
- experiences the death of the registered owner of the ABN.
Cancelling an ABN will cancel:
- registrations for goods and services tax (GST)
- luxury car tax (LCT)
- wine equalisation tax (WET)
- fuel tax credits (FTC)
- AUSkeys linked to the ABN.
Before you cancel your client's ABN, ensure all lodgement, reporting and payment obligations with any government agencies the business deals with are met.
Note: If you want to cancel your client's pay as you go withholding, you must cancel it before you cancel the ABN.