What you need for your ABN application
Before applying for an ABN, you need to have decided on the right structure for your business, for example, sole trader or company.
To complete your ABN application – depending on your circumstances – you'll need your:
- tax file number (TFN) and the TFNs of any associates – for example, partners, directors and trustees.
- tax or BAS agents registered agent number, if you use a registered agent
- professional adviser number – if you're using the services of a professional adviser, you can provide their licence number, for example, Australian Financial Services licence (AFS licence)
- previously held ABN
- Australian company number (ACN) or Australian registered body number (ARBN). Companies and registrable organisations can register for an ACN or ARBN through the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC)
- date your ABN is required. This should be the date that you expect to start any business activities – for example, buying stock. This date can't be more than six months in the future when you apply
- entity legal name – appears on all official documents or legal papers
- authorised contacts – this can be a registered tax or BAS agent if they are authorised to make changes or update information on behalf of the entity
- associates' details – associate requirements are different for each entity type
- business contact details including an address, postal address, email address and phone number. Your email address must meet requirements such as; being between 5 - 200 characters, contain no spaces and not start with 'support@', 'Sales@' or 'info@'
- business activity – usually the main source of income for your enterprise, for example, agriculture, construction, investment and manufacturing. Self-managed super funds may not be carrying on a business and therefore might not have a main business activity
- business locations – provide businesses physical locations for all premises operated by your enterprise, unless there's a risk to safety of individuals as a result of the disclosure, for example, a women's refuge.